LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western Spartans women's volleyball, who are ranked fourth in the Canada West preseason coaches' poll, look to carry momentum from a 9-0 preseason into conference play as they open regular season at home against University of Reginia this weekend at the Langley Event Center.
Friday, Oct. 19 vs. Regina – 6 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Oct. 20 vs. Regina – 5 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans are coming off an unbeaten preseason, including going undefeated at both the University of Regina Invitational and the West Coast Classic.
• TWU and Regina met once in preseason at the University of Regina Invitational, with the Spartans taking the game in four sets.
• Last year, the Spartans and Cougars split their season series, with Regina winning in five sets and TWU responding with a four-set victory in Langley (Jan. 19-20).
• Regina is coming off an 8-4 preseason, going 2-3 at the University of Regina Invitational, as well as going 4-1 at the Unruh Realty Invitational, then finishing off preseason with a pair of wins against Saskatchewan.
• The Spartans have had the edge against Regina in all but one regular season game since the 2014-15 season, giving TWU a record of 7-1 against Regina in the past four seasons.
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2017-18
vs. Regina (1-1)
Jan. 19 – Regina 3 TWU 2 (Langley)
Jan. 20 – TWU 3 Regina 1 (Langley)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (0-0)
Canada West Preseason Poll: 4th
Last Weekend: Guelph (3-0 W), UBC (3-0 W) | West Coast Classic
REGINA COUGARS (0-0)
Canada West Preseason Poll: 7th
Last Weekend: Saskatchewan (3-0 W, 3-1 W) | Exhibition
Recognized for quality, TWU has received seven consecutive A+ rankings for Quality of Teaching and Learning, holds three Canada Research Chairs, and wins national championships in CIS sports. More importantly, lives are changed at TWU through its whole-person, Christ-centred approach to education. With a wide array of undergraduate, graduate, and adult degree-completion programs, TWU equips leaders of character and competence to make a positive impact in the lives of others.
About Spartan Athletics
As official members of U SPORTS, the Spartans currently compete in 10 sports in the Canada West conference, including women's and men's soccer, volleyball, basketball, cross country and track & field. TWU also competes in the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) in men's hockey. Since TWU entered U SPORTS in 1999, the Spartans have won 11 U SPORTS team championships and 25 Canada West team championships.