Written by Katie Maryschuk
LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western’s women’s volleyball team prepares for its second last home game this weekend. The No. 9-ranked Spartans host Regina both Friday and Saturday at the Langley Events Centre.
Friday, Jan. 19 vs. Regina (8-8) – 6 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Jan 20 vs. Regina (8-8) – 5 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• TWU looks to improve on its win from last weekend, after splitting its weekend matches against Manitoba, which saw the Spartans 10-winning streak snapped with a loss against the Bisons Friday in four sets
• The TWU women are ranked No. 9 in the U SPORTS Top 10 this week, falling from a season-high No. 8 last week
• The Cougars are coming into the weekend on a three-game winning streak, with a win over Saskatchewan and back-to-back wins over Thompson Rivers.
• Second-year left side Hilary Howe (Calgary, A.B.) leads TWU with 3.33 kills per set, which has her seventh in Canada West.
• Fifth-year libero Rachel Flink (Surrey, B.C.) is ranked sixth in the conference for digs and leads the team with 3.72 per set. Last weekend, she set a career-high for digs with 25 against Manitoba (Jan. 13)
• Katie Devaney (Port Coquitlam, B.C.) and Avery Heppell (Langley, B.C.) sit at the top of the leaderboard for blocks per set at 1.59 and 1.48 respectively
• The last time TWU and Regina played was on Oct. 28-29, 2016 in Regina, where TWU took both games in three sets.
• Friday’s game will be the Spartans third last regular-season home game at the Langley Events Centre, with the subsequent game on Saturday night, Jan 20, and their final regular-season home game against UBC Feb. 9.
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2016-17
vs. Regina (2-0)
Oct 28, 2016 – TWU 3 Regina 0 (Regina, Sask.)
Oct 29, 2016 – TWU 3 Regina 0 (Regina, Sask.)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (12-4)
U SPORTS Ranking: No. 9
Canada West Standings: 3rd
Last Weekend: Manitoba (3-1 L), (3-1 W)
Streak: 1 win
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-L-W
REGINA COUGARS (8-8)
U SPORTS Ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 5th (tied)
Last Weekend: Thompson Rivers (3-2 W), (3-1 W)
Streak: 3 wins
Regular Season Form: L-L-W-W-W