WINNIPEG (U SPORTS) –The Trinity Western Spartans scored four unanswered goals in the second half en route to 4-0 quarter-final win over the host Manitoba Bisons at the 2017 U SPORTS Women's Soccer Championship on Thursday night.
After a scoreless first half, TWU's Rachel Hutchinson (Cloverdale, B.C.) scored in the 57th minute to launch an offensive barrage that saw the Canada West champion Spartans tally four goals in 18 minutes.
With the first goal in the bag, Kathleen Chin (Calgary) doubled TWU's lead in the 69th minute, before Jenaya Robertson (Delta, B.C.) made it a three-goal margin in the 74th minute. Hutchinson rounded out the scoring 30 seconds later with her second of the game.
Spartans netminder Christina Oliverio (Calgary), who is TWU's lone fifth-year player in the starting lineup, made six saves to earn her third clean sheet in four playoff games.
TWU will now prepare to play Montreal in the semifinals Saturday at 2 p.m. (PT). The game will be streamed live at www.usports.live.
The Spartans opened the scoring when Hutchinson sprinted down the right side of the field and put the ball over the head of Manitoba keeper Justina Jarmoszko to give her team a 1-0 lead.
Manitoba had a chance to answer back when Sara Schur made her own run but the Bisons midfielder couldn't get a shot off before Spartan defender Elizabeth Hicks (Langley, B.C.) broke up the play.
Chin added to the Spartan lead, beating Jarmoszko to put the Spartans up 2-0.
TWU continued their dominance, as Robertson and Hutchinson scored 26 seconds apart to seal the 4-0 win.
TWU Head Coach Graham Roxburgh
"Manitoba defended us well. They make it tricky for us but I am really happy with how we responded in the second half."
• Saturday's semifinal contest with Montreal will mark the fourth time the two teams have played in the national championship tournament.
• TWU has won each of their three previous meetings with the Carabins, winning in 2004 (7-0 in a preliminary round game), 2009 (0-0 (4-2 PK) in the final) and 2013 (1-0 in the final).
• A semifinal win would put the Spartans into the championship game for the fifth time in the last six years. Last year, TWU lost to UOIT in the quarter-finals (1-0 in overtime).
• With her two goals in Thursday's win, Hutchinson now has five goals in four playoff games.
• The win over the Bisons was the first time TWU and Manitoba have ever played in the U SPORTS championship.
• The Spartans are 22-7-1 all-time in what is now their 11th national championship appearance.