Written by Kristin Anton
LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western’s women’s basketball team will take on the Saskatchewan Huskies in a best-of-three Canada West semifinal series this Thursday. The No. 9-ranked Spartans will battle the Huskies in hopes of moving onto the Canada West finals.
Thursday, Feb. 22 vs. Saskatchewan – 5 p.m. (PT)
Friday, Feb. 23 vs. Saskatchewan – 5 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Feb. 24 vs. Saskatchewan – 5 p.m. (PT) – if necessary
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans will compete in the Canada West semifinals for the first time in program history.
• TWU and Saskatchewan will go to battle in a best-of-three series this Thursday, Friday and, if necessary, Saturday.
• The Spartans will be coming into the weekend after they beat the Alberta Pandas in two straight nights in the quarter-finals.
• Jessie Brown (Langley) led the Spartans with 21 points while Tessa Ratzlaff ( Abbotsford, BC) had 18 points and Kayla Gordon (Prince George, BC) followed 17 points in the series-clinching Game 2 against Alberta.
• Saskatchewan advanced to the semifinals after beating Winnipeg last Saturday, winning Game 3 97-64.
• The Huskies were led by Sabine Dukate who scored 21 points and Summer Masikewich with 17 points in Game 3.
• The Spartans last saw Saskatchewan in January where they beat the Huskies for the first time ever in Saskatoon, winning 69-68. Saskatchewan bounced back to earn a weekend split with an 82-64 win.
• The winner of the semifinal series will move onto Canada West championship game.
• If Regina, who will host the U SPORTS championship and, as such, earns an automatic berth into the national tournament, wins its semifinal series, the two semifinal losers will play for a Canada West bronze medal, with the winner advancing to the U SPORTS championship. In this scenario, if TWU loses its series with Saskatchewan, the Spartans would host the bronze medal game March 3.
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2018
vs. Saskatchewan (1-1)
Jan. 19 –TWU 69 Saskatchewan 68 (Saskatoon)
Jan. 20 – Saskatchewan 82 TWU 64 (Saskatoon)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (16-4)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 9
Canada West Standings: 3rd
Last Weekend: Alberta (62-53 W) (70-64 W)
Streak: 6 wins
Regular Season Form: L-W-W-W-W
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (17-3)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 7
Canada West Standings: 2nd
Last Weekend: Manitoba (76-58 W) (93-85 L) (97-64 W)
Streak: 1 win
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-L-W