Written by Kristin Anton
LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western’s women’s basketball team will play the final home games of its regular season schedule this weekend, as the No. 10-ranked Spartans, who jumped into the U SPORTS Top 10 this week for the first time in program history, host Thompson Rivers Friday and Saturday at the Langley Events Centre. On Friday, the Spartans will host their Bell Let’s Talk night, which is intended to help student-athletes continue their leadership role on campus in the fight to end the stigma around mental health. On Saturday, TWU will honuur its graduating seniors.
Friday, Jan. 26 vs. Thompson Rivers (7-9) – 6 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Jan. 27 vs. Thompson Rivers (7-9) – 5 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans took on the Saskatchewan Huskies this past weekend in Saskatoon, where they split, taking the win on Friday while coming up short on Saturday.
• The Friday night win was a remarkable victory as the Spartans beat Saskatchewan for the first time ever inside the Huskies’ gym. The Spartans win broke Saskatchewan’s five-game winning streak.
• With her first point this weekend, Kayla Gordon (Prince George, B.C.) will become TWU’s all-time career points leader. Gordon is currently tied with Spartan alum Holly Strom a 1,112 career points.
• This past weekend, Tessa Ratzlaff (Abbotsford, B.C.) joined Gordon (Prince George, B.C) and Jessie Brown (Langley) as she achieved the 1,000-point mark of her career as a Spartan during Friday night’s game.
• TWU fell short the following night against Saskatchewan and are now 12-4 going into this weekend against TRU.
• This weekend will be the last home game of the regular season for the Spartans, which means their seniors, Gordon and Ashleigh Barnes (Oceanside, Calif.), will be honoured for their time spent at TWU in a special post-game ceremony Saturday.
• The Spartans will take on TRU for the first time since 2013-14 in a regular season match.
• Over the most recent Christmas break, the played each other in an exhibition tilt, with TWU winning 77-56.
• The WolfPack will be coming to the Langley after a weekend at home where they hosted Fraser Valley. The Cascades won both nights.
• TRU’s leading scorers for Saturday night were Emma Piggen, with 13 points, Makayla Hoey, with 13 points, and Megan Roault, with 11 points.
LAST TIME THEY MET
vs. Thompson Rivers
Jan. 24, 2014 – TRU 59 TWU 44 (Langley)
Jan. 25, 2014 – TWU 63 TRU 51 (Langley)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (12-4)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 10
Canada West Standings: 3rd
Last Weekend: Saskatchewan (69-68 W), (82-64 L)
Streak: 1 loss
Regular Season Form: W-W-L-W-L
THOMPSON RIVERS WOLF PACK (7-9)
U SPORTS ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 12th
Last Weekend: Fraser Valley (59-53 L), (76-67 L)
Streak: 4 losses
Regular Season Form: W-L-L-L-L