Written by Kristin Anton
LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western’s women’s basketball team is on the road this weekend, as the third-place Spartans travel to Saskatoon to play the University of Saskatchewan Huskies Friday and Saturday.
Friday, Jan. 19 vs. Saskatchewan (13-1) – 4:15 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Jan. 20 vs. Saskatchewan (13-1) – 4:15 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans will look to regain their winning form in Saskatoon after a loss against the University of Calgary Dinos this past weekend snapped a six-game winning streak.
• Before the loss Jan. 13th, TWU hadn’t lost since Nov. 17th against UBC.
• This past Friday night, TWU guard, Jessie Brown (Langley), surpassed 1,000 career points in her fourth year as a Spartan. She now has 1,008 career points.
• Brown is among three other Spartans who reached the 1,000-point milestone, including alums Holly Strom (1,112) and Taylor Stuart (1,007) and current teammate Kayla Gordon (Prince George, B.C.), who is at 1,077.
• Kayla Gordon scored 25 points and 11 rebounds awarding her a double-double in last Friday night’s win.
• TWU sits third in Canada West following Saskatchewan and Regina, who are tied 13-1 for wins and losses.
• The Huskies will be ready to take on the Spartans after coming off a successful weekend where they swept UBC Okanagan.
LAST TIME THEY MET
vs. Saskatchewan (0-2)
Nov. 26, 2015 – Saskatchewan 70 TWU 48 (Langley, B.C.)
Nov. 27, 2015 – Saskatchewan 71 TWU 53 (Langley, B.C.)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (11-3)
U SPORTS ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 3rd
Last Weekend: Calgary (88-76 W), (84-52 L)
Streak: 1 loss
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-W-L
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (13-1)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 6
Canada West Standings: 1st (tied)
Last Weekend: UBCO (88-55 W), (88-44 W)
Streak: 5 wins
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-W-W