EDMONTON – The No. 10 ranked Trinity Western Spartans will finish third in Canada West after earning a 68-54 victory over the MacEwan Griffins Saturday night in Edmonton. The victory gives the Spartans a program best 16 wins as TWU finishes 16-4 in conference play. The loss finishes the Griffins season with a 4-16 record. TWU finishes the season with the same record as Victoria, but the Spartans get second place based on the better RPI.
Tessa Ratzlaff (Abbotsford, B.C.) led TWU with 22 points, seven boards, while shooting 10-14, playing in her final conference game Kayla Gordon had another double-double with 13 points, and 10 rebounds to go with three steals, while Jessie Brown (Langley, B.C.) added 12 points. Kayla Ivicak finished the night with 14 points and six rebounds, with Paige Knull adding 12 points and six rebounds to lead the Griffins.
Unlike last night the Spartans had a solid first quarter to lead 18-10 after the first 10 minutes of play. TWU never looked back as they led 33-21 at the half and 55-34 heading into the final quarter. MacEwan had their best quarter of the night in the fourth, as they outscored TWU 20-13 in the final 10 minutes.
TWU Head Coach Cheryl Jean-Paul
"We had to battle hard tonight but that's exactly what we need at this point in the season. It's hard to replicate playoff intensity in training but MacEwan played with so much heart that we had to play strong all the way through. There are definitely a few things we will have to work on but the discipline and mindset we played with will serve us well moving into the next few weeks. This has been a tremendous regular season and the hard work this group has put in since day 1 has gotten us to a defining moment in our program's history. I'm proud of each player and their contributions to this success, regardless of role or minutes, everything has mattered getting us to this point."
- With her 22 points Ratzlaff finishes the season with 367 points and passes former Spartan Taylor Stuart, 349 in 2005-06, for second place on the TWU single season scoring record. Holly Strom holds the TWU record of 422, which she set in 2015-16 season.
- Kayla Gordon's 13 points and 10 rebounds give her 1164 points and 606 rebounds in her TWU career. She holds the TWU record for career points and is 2nd in career rebounds. Corina Reimer holds the record with 609 rebounds, 2006-11.
- Ratzlaff's now sits tied for second, with Holly Strom, in most points scored as a Spartan with 1112.
- Top 12 teams based on record qualify for CW post season. Teams are then ranked based on RPI.
- Going into the weekend the top five RPI rankings were Regina .6437, Saskatchewan .6351, TWU .6319, Calgary .5943 and Victoria .5815.
The Spartans will now have a bye week, before hosting Canada West play-offs February 15 at the Langley Events Centre.