LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western's No. 1-ranked men's volleyball team will host Calgary in the final regular season weekend of the fall semester Friday and Saturday at the Langley Events Centre.
TWU (7-1) is coming off a bye week and returns to the LEC for the first time since its home-opening weekend (Nov. 2-3).
Friday, Nov. 30 vs. Calgary – 8:30 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Dec. 1 vs. Calgary – 7:30 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• This weekend marks only the second time the Spartans have played at home this year. Their home-opening weekend was against Alberta and saw the teams split the series with TWU winning 3-0 before losing 3-2.
• The Spartans Eric Loeppky (Steinbach, MB.) sits third in Canada West in kills per set with 3.96, while the Dinos Tim Taylor (Sydney, Australia) is right behind him in fourth with 3.83 kills/s.
• The Spartans as a team have a hitting percentage of .318 which has them second in Canada West. The Dinos sit in eighth hitting .212 on the season.
• Loeppky and Taylor are also in the top five for hitting percentage, with Loeppky first in Canada West (.365) and Taylor third (.304).
• Since TWU lost Game 1 of the Canada West best-of-three quarter-finals against Calgary in 2015-16, the Spartans, who went on to win the series en route to a national title that year, have beat the Dinos six straight times (including regular season and playoffs).
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2017-18
vs. Calgary (2-0)
Feb. 2 – TWU 3 Calgary 1 (Calgary)
Feb. 3 – TWU 3 Calgary 1 (Calgary)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (7-1)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 1
Canada West Standings: 3rd (tied)
Last Weekend: Bye
Streak: 4 wins
Regular Season Form: L-W-W-W-W
CALGARY DINOS (3-5)
U SPORTS ranking: NR
Canada West Pacific Standings: 8th (tied)
Last Weekend: Manitoba (3-2 L, 3-0 W)
Streak: 1 win
Regular Season Form: W-L-L-L-W