LANGLEY, B.C. – The BCIHL-leading Trinity Western men's hockey team returns to regular season action Thursday and Friday when the Spartans host Simon Fraser and Selkirk at the Langley Events Centre.
Coming off an impressive 10-1-0-1 fall semester, in which TWU put themselves six points clear of second-place Vancouver Island University, the Spartans will look to keep their momentum rolling as they open 2019 with four straight home games, starting this weekend.
Thursday, Jan. 3 vs. Simon Fraser – 7 p.m. (PT)
Friday, Jan. 4 vs. Selkirk – 7 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans come into this weekend having last played SFU in the regular season, with TWU earning a 4-2 road victory to cap its fall semester.
• Over the break, TWU played an exhibition contest against the Kazakhstan National Junior Team, losing 4-3 in overtime.
• Five Spartans also represented the BCIHL Young Stars against Kazakhstan in a 2-0 loss.
• The defending-champion Spartans only regulation time loss in the fall was a 4-2 setback against Selkirk in Castlegar, B.C.
• TWU owns a 5-0-0-1 home record, with its only loss coming in overtime against Victoria (4-3 on Nov. 30).
• Evan Last (Surrey, B.C.) leads TWU in points, with six goals and 11 assists in 12 games.
• Lucas Mills (Burnaby, B.C.) has played in 10 of TWU's 12 games, sporting a league-leading 9-1 record with a BCIHL-best .938 save percentage and a 1.65 goals against average.
• SFU's Nicholas Holowko leads the Clan in points, with two goals and nine assists.
• The Clan's Michael Lenko, who has started all three games against TWU, has a 3-5 record with a .868 save percentage, while Ryan Sandrin is 3-0 with a .893 save percentage.
• Selkirk's Andrew Thompson (6G, 5A) and Edward Lindsey (4G, 7A) lead the Saints in points.
• Saints goalie Tallon Kramer posted a 4-3-0 record in the fall, with a .918 save percentage, while teammate Patrick Zubick was 1-4 with an .877 save percentage.
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2018-19
vs. Simon Fraser (3-0)
Oct. 13 @ SFU – W (4-1)
Nov. 9 vs. SFU – W (3-0)
Dec. 7 @ SFU – W (4-2)
vs. Selkirk (2-1)
Oct. 26 vs. Selkirk – W (4-1)
Nov. 16 @ Selkirk – L (4-2)
Nov. 17 @ Selkirk – W (3-2 OT)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (10-1-0-1)
BCIHL Standings: 1st
BCIHL Streak: 2 wins
Regular Season Form: W-W-L-W-W
Last Weekend: SFU (4-2 W)
SIMON FRASER CLAN (6-5-0-0)
BCIHL Standings: 4th
BCIHL Streak: 2 losses
Regular Season Form: W-L-W-L-L
Last Weekend: TWU (4-2 L)
SELKIRK SAINTS (5-4-0-3)
BCIHL Standings: 3rd
BCIHL Streak: 1 loss
Regular Season Form: W-W-L-W-L
Last Weekend: VIU (4-3 W), (3-1 L)
Recognized for quality, TWU has received seven consecutive A+ rankings for Quality of Teaching and Learning, holds three Canada Research Chairs, and wins national championships in CIS sports. More importantly, lives are changed at TWU through its whole-person, Christ-centred approach to education. With a wide array of undergraduate, graduate, and adult degree-completion programs, TWU equips leaders of character and competence to make a positive impact in the lives of others.
About Spartan Athletics
As official members of U SPORTS, the Spartans currently compete in 10 sports in the Canada West conference, including women's and men's soccer, volleyball, basketball, cross country and track & field. TWU also competes in the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) in men's hockey. Since TWU entered U SPORTS in 1999, the Spartans have won 11 U SPORTS team championships and 25 Canada West team championships.